A Letter to Mommy and Daddy before I Graduate College


Normally, it would be the other way around. The graduating son would normally be the one receiving letters from his parents. However, besides this week being Mother’s Day, my Dad’s 57th birthday, and my parents’ 23rd Wedding Anniversary, it is only rightful that I switch it up a bit and write my culminating letter to them as I am about to enter “adulthood”. So here it is. Enjoy.

Dear Mommy and Daddy,

I thank you for the mere fact that you guys met on a random afternoon in SF back in the 90s “at the right time”. Had you two met one day early or one day late, maybe I wouldn’t be here writing this very letter right now. Heck, had you guys not even met at all, I certainly wouldn’t be a human being. However, meeting is barely half the job done. I’m thankful you two worked it out between the first day you met and your wedding day at some wonderful cathedral at New York City. Kung di kayo nagkasunduan, baka wala ako ngayon. I understand there were arguments and frustrations along the way, but I’m glad y’all sorted it out. Marriage complete half of your love. I’m most certainly thankful that both of you completed the other half, the harder half, raising me and my two siblings. Indeed, there were a lot of sacrifices to that. Di na kayo puwedeng maglandian nang basta-basta. Nahirapan kayong magpakain at mapaaral kami. At higit sa lahat, kinailangan niyong gawin ang lahat na ito habang naghahanap ng trabaho at nagtatapos ng Ph.D. Surely, I’m impressed y’all were able to pull it off. I’m also amazed at the fact you were able to raise a son that is on the verge of marching up to get his College degree and diploma. Indeed, that is such a big deal and huge accomplishment for our family, and I owe it all to you both. Indeed, ang Pagtatapos na ito ay para sa inyong dalawa.  

Now, this is the part of the letter where I would like to say sorry. We’ve had our arguments. We’ve had our fights, and I understand it may be very frustrating raising me these past 21 years. On my part, it was similarly frustrating trying to listen and follow all your bilins and rules. There were instances where I wish I coulda done things more independently and differently. Being a “young adult”, there were instances where I was too arrogant, stubborn and full of myself. I guess looking back, my biggest regret is reluctantly following and not doing it out of genuine love. I guess it’s no wonder I fail every quiz, get into an accident once in a while, and worst of all, get heartbroken by some girls I’ve bumped into so far. Sometimes, it honestly sucks listening to everything you guys have to say, but it’s only now that I realize I’m just keep effin’ up everything by not following. It’s by disobeying at times where I reject all the wisdom you guys have in your years in this earth. It’s by not truly following that I neglect how much you two care about me. And it is with all these scars and regret that I sincerely apologize for all the rough times and bullshit you guys had to deal with.

However, I’m still thankful that you never gave up on me and still supported some of my decisions even if they may go against your wisdom. Now that I’m about to graduate college and enter the “real world”, I’m not asking for much, but I do hope for the following. Una sa lahat, sana puwede na ‘ko umibig at magkajowa. Hahaha half-joke. But in all seriousness, I do hope that you give me the green light to decide certain things on my own. Of course, I would be such a bad son if I just set aside the valuable knowledge and wisdom you two give me. However, I do realize as well that we’re not gonna live here forever, and that I can’t always rely on you both forever. I know it’s going to be difficult deciding for myself all the time, from where I’m going to work, to who I’m going to fall in love with, you name it. Indeed, there will come a time I will need both of your support and guidance. In fact, it is when you are not there when I will most likely feel this need. It also does not help that our world is changing by the day. I may have had problems, but they don’t compare to the firestorm that happening around our world right now. I guess all I ask is for us to continue this wonderful relationship I have with both of you while you start letting go of me slowly but surely. I will surely follow both of your advice to keep being who I am amidst the many pressures and changes our society gives me right now.

Indeed, our time here is so limited, and we’ve made our mistakes to one another, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever replace the day you two got married, the day momma gave birth to me, and the day I will march my ass up that stage on May 31, 2019. All these would never have materialized if mom and dad never even met on that sunny afternoon in San Francisco. Mahal ko kayo Mommy at Daddy.

Sincerely,

DEL RO





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ODD MAN OUT

The Harsh Truth About Failure

DEL RO: Daring Everytime Lord Reaches Out