Happy New Year, Part 2: Anuna (Ano na), 2019?


Hey guys. I'm finally back in the Philippines, which means that I'm able to write again in my laptop after publishing the last 2 blog posts in that teeny tiny cellphone screen. As promised, here's Part 2 of my New Year blog series. If the Part 1 served as a recall of sorts to the year that was (2018), this new post will focus on what's in it for me and you this coming 2019. I will look ahead to our 2019 in the form of "Notes to Self" (aka the thing you put in your diaries). By this token, hopefully I am able to talk to you guys as well cos who knows, you may just be able to relate and use some of the self-taught advice I'm about to give myself right about now.

Note to Self 1: Soo, Anuna

For Filipinos, anuna is a millenial term for "ano na", or "what now". A perfect word to kickstart the year, diba? We're already a week into the new year, and yet most of us are pretty much at a blank clean slate pa rin. I don't blame y'all one bit. Some are still in their long midterm break, which means that school does not start until around the 3rd or even last week of January. For others that are already back in work or school, I'm sure y'all are still feeling the holiday hangover, and that's normal among us humans. So it's quite natural for us to ask anuna and wonder what this year may have in store for us. However, for someone like me who is relatively still in my early 20s, this question takes a whole deeper meaning. A lot of stuff is about to happen this coming year. I end College, which means I will be one of the many unemployed peeps looking for a job or possibly a masters degree to pursue. However, what makes me different from the rest of the pack is that there's the wide road of uncertainty lurking within my mind and heart. You see, it is this blankness and uncertainty that makes 2019 different from the other years. Other years were just a matter of me getting by one schoolyear just to advance to the next. The early 2010s just made me focus on finishing high school, while the mid-late 2010s were just a matter of passing every course I took in College in order to level up from one year to another. However, 2019 ain't the same from the rest. You see, once I receive that diploma and do my final bow on the stage, that ceremony proves to be both an end and a beginning. So there's this confirmation and uncertainty all in this one monumental moment. A confirmation that my childhood's officially over, and an uncertainty of what's next for me. Soo yah, anuna 2019? Anuna? 

Note to Self 2: End of the 2010s yo

I mentioned earlier how the 2010s was basically the high school and college years for me. This means that now that we're in the tail end of the decade, my childhood officially ends this year. It's been an awesome ride, but as they say, "All good things come to an end". I consider myself lucky, since I understand that there are others that had to grow up early on in their lives, and I applaud you for becoming an adult as early as 15 or even 12. But now, I join you guys in this phase of adulthood. I don't know if I wanted this early or if it came too late, but what matters now is that I'm right on schedule, as God had wanted it to be. I know 2019 for the rest of y'all is a lot different. Maybe some are just starting out their childhood, or maybe others had theirs ended early on this decade, but all I'm tryna say is that we all had a good run throughout the 2010s, so lets make the last year of the decade count (yes, I'm still talking to you @/self). Soo enough of the regret, anxiety and sayangs in the world. Lets make a conscious effort not to waste our time sulking, whining and complaining all the time. Sure, there will be those moments pa rin of sheer sadness and depression, cuz that's part of being human, right? However, my hope for myself and the rest of you is to quickly bounce back, because time has become this social construct kung saan sa sobrang bilis ng pagtakbo ng orasan, di mo na mawawari na Disyembre na ulit. So there will be dragging days, there will be easy days. What matter is that we make them all count, yes? 

Note to Self 3: Save the Best for Last

Did I mention that 2019 is the last of the 2010s. Yeah, I did over and over again. However, I emphasize this because I want to come across the message of making everything count and living with a purpose. Of course, these sayings all apply naman regardless of what year we're on, however, this weighs a little bit heavier in terms of the magnitude of this year. What more if you're a College senior like me. Consider yourself in a very special yet unusual place. You officially end school in the last year of the decade, and by the time we usher in the new decade, many of us fresh grads from College will start job hunting and writing Masters thesis (and most likely gaining a headstart on that dissertation). For the single ones out there, the 2020s is that wide open window for us to finally jump in to that game we like to call "LOVE" and "ENGAGEMENT" (yah, I'm proud of y'all for following your parents' dreadful but helpful "BAWAL MAGKABOYPREN/GIRLPREN RULE). Welp, since most of us will be out of our parents' house in the 2020s, all I'm saying is that the new decade rings in infinite possibilities for us moving forward. However, there's the fear of getting waay too ahead 
of ourselves. Which is why 2019 is a constant reminder for us to end the decade with a bang. Go get that Dean's List you've been longing for. Pursue that thesis topic you've been dying to write about since you were a freshie. And for the torpe ones there like me, go MAKE FRIENDS (not too many, but yung tama lang). Di na babalik 'tong panahong ito. Sure, it's easier said than done cos we're just in the first week of 2019, but before you know it, December 31, 2019 na ulit. 

So whatever stage in your lives you may be in right now, I sincerely hope that y'all enjoy the new year ahead. I hope that you quit comparing your life to others by scrolling and browsing through IG stories, FB posts and tweets for countless hours. Why not try living your own life regardless of whether you post dem milestones online or not. Hehe. I do hope also that we become closer to Him every single day of the new year, because regardless of how different our circumstances, goals, dreams and milestones may be, the final destination remains the same, to God and God only. Have a blessed 2019 ahead. 

Yours truly, 
Del Ro :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ODD MAN OUT

The Harsh Truth About Failure

DEL RO: Daring Everytime Lord Reaches Out